Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hitler On Drugs

I was watching a google video yesterday on Robert Anton Wilson called The I In Triangle when he declared that Hitler used cocaine from 1936 until he shot himself at the end of WW2. I thought this was poppycock so I decided to do a little google research which proved intresting indeed.

Apparently the Nazi's researched the use of cocaine on inmates within concentration camps. In particular, prisoners at Sachsenhausen who were given the drug were forced to march in circles carrying 20kg packs and were able to march 55 miles without resting. Also despite Hitler being against such drugs, amphetamines were used on the front lines and were in every soliders first aid kit for use against exhaustion. Adolf himself allegedly received daily injections of methamphetamine from his personal physician from 1942. According to Wikipedia, Methamphetamine is highly psychologically addictive which results in strong feelings of euphoria, availability of undirected energy, sleeplessness, and depletion of available neurotransmitters including a strong come-down as the drug's effect wears off. According to another article it is suggested that Hitler suffered Parkinson's disease which was diagnosed in 1944. The symptoms? Slow reactions, trembling and insomnia. Could this have been the affect of methamphetamine and other drugs at work?

It's certainly an interesting topic and more information can be found here. I cannot find any articles substantiating Wilson's claim of cocaine use from 1936 but during the 1920s and 1930s in Germany, both cocaine and methamphetamine were routinely prescribed for many ailments so given further research I would not off-handedly doubt his claim considering the wealth of information regarding his other ailments and use of drugs.

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hitler was a vegetarian? Didn't know that. I guess that makes him the most famous vegetarian ever. I have a lot to live up to...

I doubt that it contributed to his flatulence though - I don't think that I fart a lot more now that I don't eat meat. It's much more likely that he was just full of shit :D

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hitler on speed, sweet.

11:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar