Friday, December 02, 2005

The Electrifying Conclusion

The weather has seemed to revert back to autumnal variety it seems. The frost and occasional snowfall has turned anti-clockwise to blustery rain-filled afternoons and clear breezy evenings where you can catch the moons reflection in the puddles. If you're lucky.

I've also noticed that I've been in bed earlier as I've been getting tired more quickly, most likely due to the fact that I rarely get to see any sunlight these days due to the lack of windows where I work. However, I don't mind this routine change because it gives me a chance to catch up on some reading that I've been neglecting recently. Yesterday I received my much anticipated Guided By Voices biography by Jim Greer entitled 'Twenty-One Years of Hunting Accidents in the Forests of Rock and Roll'.
So far it has painted a picture of Bob Pollard, leader and hero of GBV, as a lamentable genius who has no time for those not willing to give him credit where credit is due and a performer who always has time for fanboys and hardcore UFO's. Regardless, they will always be remembered as the Kings of Indie Rock.


I also received the DVD of their last ever gig on New Years Eve 2004, 'The Electrifying Conclusion'. The show itself lasted for 63 songs and took over 4 hours. It is awaiting a drunken evening to be spent with my friend and GBV aficionado, Colin, so that we may rock out and sing along/play air guitar. And perhaps knock out a few high kicks as a salty salute to Bob.


Have a great weekend whatever you're doing and I'll catch you on Monday.

Ciao!

2 Comments:

Blogger Skry said...

So was the GVB gig that I was at one of their last? Shit, that was a great gig and I was thinking "If they come back I'll definitely go again". Typical...

Wouldn't mind watching that DVD, but I think I might not be able to do 4 hours of high kicks and his voice - as entertaining as he was in concert (very), he still can't sing for peanuts!

12:37 am  
Blogger Donovan said...

I hear that's because he's allergic. They make the throat close up.

8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar