Monday, March 14, 2005

The Weekend: Reloaded.

What a weekend. It's a short 2 days but this one seemed to last a little bit longer. I think this boils down to going out on Friday or not. If you do, the weekend somehow feels longer because you've packed more in. If you don't it seems to skip past like a pigeons fluttering heart during a panic attack brought on by a passing car too close to the pavement.

Friday evening began with a bottle of wine at Ulsterville. Cheryl came up from Bangor and Brian kick started the liver by passing out some mead. Jenny encouraged us to go to the Students Union which I hadn't been to since I was 21. It hadn't changed very much in the last 4 years except I was 328% less nervous about milling around inside. It took far too long to get served and I imagine Chinese dynasties have come and gone before we get a round in. We settle in a seating area beside the long bar and Keith manages to scare off some guy and we have complete comtrol. We natter away and the pints are drunk in no time at all. I lean around the partition and contort myself to wave at the barman to try and get served before the other 200 people pushing their way forward along the bar. A young acne-ridden "bouncer" approaches me, wearing a bright yellow QUB Staff T-shirt and tells me not to do that. I tell him fantastic, three pints of Tennants please. He looks somehwat bemused/unamused and mutters something. I slap him on the back and say again, oh yes, I'll have 3 pints of Tennants, there's a good lad. He saunters off. I get disallusioned at not being able to goad him into getting me beer and Cheryl, Colin and I leave for a final pint at Ryans. We probably talk a lot of BS and the lights come up. 1am already. Colin invites me back for a nightcap but I decline. I'm already aware I cannot walk in a straight line so I zig-zag myself back home and fall into bed.

Woke up feeling good on Saturday morning due to my fantastic lie-in. There's nothing in the cupboards so it's shopping time. We make our way to Tescos and we buy a few odds and sods for the house, plants and placemats etc. I feel far more at ease in the new place which is probably because there's no complaints and I actually love living there. The house is always nicely warm when it needs to be and is close to everything. Leaving the house at 8:50 to get into work is like being back in Ulsterville again except I only get 30 minutes for lunch so I can't nip back and make a cheese toastie.
The plan for this afternoon was to meet up with everyone at Vaughn's because Keiths work, Halifax, had booked the top floor for friends and family for the match at 4pm. However, the match at 4pm is England vs Italy and no-one cares about that. It's the Ireland match at 2pm we're interested in, so Lou and I, blissfully unaware of the gaff until it's 2.15pm, turn on the radio and find out it's 6-6 10 minutes into the game. Get home, drop the shopping and turn on the TV. It's a good match but Ireland keep dropping the ball and make other vital mistakes and we lose the match. There goes the Grand Slam but we're still on for the triple crown if we beat Wales next weekend. Fingers crossed.
The rest of the afternoon and evening is spent with Wanda and her friend Dave from England. We swan about from bar to bar and have dinner at Benedicts before finishing up in Bar 12. Drinking for 8 hours really takes it out of you, so Lou and head home and crash out. Let's draw the line under that one.

On Sunday, it's another great lie in followed by some trashy US sitcom watching, coffee and lunch. Lou is working from 2-9pm so I have the afternoon to myself. I mosey over to Ulsterville and we watch the new series from Family Guy creator Seth McFarlane, American Dad. I think it's quite a good first episode as it sets up the characters and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. We visit the recycle center and get rid of a hundred weekends evidence of booze and then come back and watch series 1 of Spaced. It's still fantastic viewing and I wish they would make a third series.
On my way home I pick up a bottle of wine and while I'm waiting for Lou to get back I watch a Bill Bailey DVD. Good stuff. Lou gets back around 10pm and we watch Code 46. It was an OK film but we talked a little bit over it and the plot seemed a little convoluted so a repeat watch might bring a little more depth to it.

I give it 3 quasi-futuristic objects out of 5.

This week should be good. Thursday is St Patricks Day and I'm off on Friday so bring on the 3 days working week. Hurrah!

2 Comments:

Blogger Donovan said...

Yay, comments working again.

Gotta love the 3 day working week, that's the dream. I should point out that the recycle trip was actually only 4 weeks worth of bottles, if even that. :D

9:26 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

In that case I'm surprised our livers haven't exploded.

I'm up to my eyes this week and I'm hoping to leave early on Wednesday so overtime, here we come.

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar