Saturday, November 22, 2008

Top 5 Albums of 2008

I completely missed posting last years best albums because I was touring New Zealand but there were plenty of excellent albums: Basia Bulat - Oh, My Darling; Bon Ivor - For Emma, Forever Ago; Caribou - Andorra; Cloud Cult - The Meaning of 8; Feist - Reminder; Kathy Diamond - Miss Diamond To You; Laura Veirs - Saltbreakers; LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver; Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position; Saint Vincent - Marry Me. If you haven't heard these I heartily recommend tracking them down.

The reason there's only 5 albums this year is because with travelling around, I haven't had the chance to listen to or hold on to many albums but for various reasons, these are the ones that stick out.

In no particular order, and welcoming any suggestions for addition, I recommend the following:

Cut-Copy - In Ghost Colours

A possible Oz-influence, Cut Copy are from Melbourne and have a fantastic 80's new-wave sound. Put this on at a party and your guests will be happy.

Stand-out tracks:
  • Feel The Love
  • Lights & Music
  • Hearts on Fire



Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules & Love Affair

With multi-vocalists including Anthony Hegarty from Anthony & The Johnsons, this unlikely majestic disco-funk album by Andrew Butler is an instant hook, line and sinker for inspired beats and rhythms.

Stand-out tracks:
  • Hercules Theme
  • Blind
  • Iris



M83 - Saturdays=Youth

I've been an ardent fan of this band since their excellent second album 'Dead Cities, Red Seas, Lost Ghosts' in 2003. The latest album builds upon earlier sounds and demonstrates a more focused approach and unique sound.

Stand-out tracks:
  • Kim & Jessie
  • Skin Of The Night
  • Highway of Endless Dreams



Neon Neon - Stainless Style

Neon Neon is a project from Super Furry Animals singer Gruff Rhys and electronic auteur Boom Bip creating a soundtrack for De Lorean Motor Company founder John De Lorean. Gruff sums up the reason behind it: "We've been touring and recording together occasionally for around six years. Early in 2006 Boom Bip contacted me about coming to LA to make a bonkers disco record. I was on the next flight." And what a flight.

Stand-out tracks:
  • Dream Cars
  • I Told Her On Alderaan
  • Raquel



Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

I can only describe Vampire Weekend as NY Indie-Punk but what a sound. Original and catchy, what else do you need??

Stand-out tracks:
  • Mansford Roof
  • A-Punk
  • Campus

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE A Punk by Vampire Weekend- good to hear the album is good too, I will buy it. :)

Of course, I've never even heard of most of the rest of them- you're too obscure for me, ha ha!

6:04 am  
Blogger Skry said...

Aren't you a little old to be making up bands and albums? :P

I haven't heard of a single one of them, but I doubt by list would include many/any that you have heard either.

9:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar