Thursday, October 18, 2007

Christchurch & Akaroa

We flew into Christchurch on 11 October and it was raining so we must have brought the weather with us. However, later that day and the next few days, after a grey start, the weather was glorious in the afternoon - around 21c and blue skies.

Lou and I have been staying at my cousins house in West Eryeton in Rangiora for the last 4 nights and him and his family have been tremendous help to us in putting us up and also providing vital information in where to go for cars, camping equipment and places to eat and visit in and around the city.

After securing a '93 Nissan Bluebird which we have nicknamed 'Black Beauty', we set off this morning to the picturesque coastal town of Akaroa. It is around 1 1/2 hours drive from Christchurch through winding mountainous terrain and the views of them and the valleys between are fantastic but nothing prepares you for the view overlooking the bay surrounding Akaroa with its clear cyan blue waters due to melting snow from the mountains.

Akaroa has a French style theme to it from its colonial past although this is really superficial and it's really just a quaint town in a bay although it's friendly and welcoming and we are staying one or two nights in a hostel.

Photographs will appear as and when I can get near a PC that isn't hidden behind a desk where I can't access my camera USB port so you'll have to be patient.

See you soon for the next update!

3 Comments:

Blogger Donovan said...

I'm so jealous! Hope the summer is good to you there. Until I catch up with you I'm living in Dublin. Things are going fine.. I'm trying out aikido clubs and getting used to living in a new place. Frustrating to be missing the new zealand summer though. It should be fun.

9:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad owned a Blue Bird a long time ageo.. they were all the rage back then... ha ha Shann

6:54 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

Sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun. It's cool that you named the car too - all cars deserve a name. Even the really old ones: remember Orgasmatron? :D

Have fun on your travels and I'll see you both soon. We only have the kitchen to fix up then we'll be away. I'd like to say that means we'll be there soon, but past experience has proved otherwise...

3:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar