Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Becoming Your Parents

We were at the folks last night and with my birthday fast approaching I was asked what I wanted. I couldn't think of anything so I said I would mull it over dinner and get back to them. Alas I coulnd't think of anything and I thought that the old adage was true in that you become more like your parents as you get older. My brother and I have always asked my folks what they want for their birthday, Xmas or Mother's/Father's Day and the response would always be "I can't think of anything" or "don't worry about it" until you pushed and they would eventually ask for something you knew they were only asking for to make you happy so you'd have something to give them. Now I realise I'm doing the same thing.

I guess you reach an age where you don't want to ask for anything because they've already supported you for so many years and bought stuff for you when you could fill an A4 refill pad with 983279 things you most definelty had to have. You grow up and responsibility and self-sacrifice kick in and because you have a job you have probably bought those things you really want anyway. Oh sure I have stuff on my Amazon wish-list but they're mostly books and cds and since I already have 10 books to get through and have most of the cds on mp3, they're really not priority gift ideas. So she asked me the question that only parents can ask of their children and not vice-versa: "Do you want money?". Well, of course I want money but money has always been something that extended family members give you when you're a teenager because they don't know what you want and they don't want to offend by buying you some piece of crap - plus it saves on actually having to think about it and everyone's happy. But not now.

So I left with no answer for her and thought more about it last night and could only think of non-present items. New passport, 24 piece kicthen set, a toastie maker, a blender, a few rugs for the house....God, it's like an episode of the Generation Game.

What have I become?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com

:)

9:12 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

Nice site. I think I know what I'm going to get him though - a one-way flight on Skry Air, fist class! If he doesn't hurry and make up his mind soon :P

10:43 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

There's a lot of little cool things in there and also some very very expensive items I'd like too e.g. 80's arcade machine - a snip at £1800!

11:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar