Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Saw 2

Last night, Lou and I watched Saw 2, the sequel to the plot-hole filled Saw. However, instead of individuals trapped in their own private hell or confined with a cell-mate in a run-down bathroom, 8 people are trapped in a house that they must escape from. But wait, the house is rigged! Who saw that coming?! What's more, they all have something in common that may help them but they're too hard ass to share information.




But the cancer-ridden evil genius from the original allows himself to get caught and is now playing a game with police! Cue senseless gore and baritone bad guy voice:
"Hello, Michael. I want to play a game. So far, in what mostly could be called your life, you have made a living watching others. Society would call you an informant. A rat. A snitch. I call you unworthy of the body you possess. Of the life you've been given..."

Oh and Michael, it's not really a game, you're going to die in a shameless gore-fest movie which will leave no lasting impression and lead to a plethora of weaker sequels starring washed up 80's actors and newbies that you just don't care about.

Saw 2 isn't the first film where an evil genius taunts police [Se7en] and it isn't the first film where people are trapped in a rigged house [Thir13en Ghosts]. In fact, none of this film is original, and it largely takes it's cue from a slew of action/thriller/horror films that came before it, plugging up weak plot structures from the prequel with a tighter script but ultimately less satisfying than Saw.

If you enjoyed the first film, you'll probably enjoy this one but it's nothing new.

I would give this film 2 rigged houses out of 5.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that review was a little harsh. The first film is original, as unlike 13Ghosts etc the characters have to do something horrific to themselves in order to escape, e.g. to choose life one guy had to loose a limb and also figure out the overall 'game.'
I agree the second one wasnt great, but it does what its meant to do - gore, classic villan, a few frights, against the clock escapes and a final twist. Its not meant to be fricken Almodovar!

10:33 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

Remember when it was Suzy's birthday and you two (esp Phil) really wanted to talk about Lost, but good old Sooz wouldn't let you spoil it for me?

Yesterday I borrowed The Saw from Martin in work here. Haven't seen it yet but from what you have both said I can pretty much guess the plot - guy has to make a decision, chooses to lob off limb, manages to get out... Even if that's not quite right, it does spoil it a good bit.

Can you write a review that isn't a spoiler, or if it is then let people know at the start of the paragraph? It's cool reading the reviews on Sigh-Fi for movies, albums, books, gigs and the like, but you shouldn't give away too much.

12:09 am  
Blogger Skry said...

Also I am interested in things related to highway construction projects and would like to buy the M1 on interest free credit and pay back whenever I want. Can you sort me out like you sorted out Mr Anonymous there? :-)

12:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A review of a sequel is inevitably going to refer to the original (same thing happens in a movie magazine). The title SAW 2 and the picture at the top of the blog are clearly visible. If u havent seen the first one this may have been an indicator that u prob shouldnt read it at all.
For the record, if u had seen the trailor for Saw u would've already guessed that ONE of the characters SAWS his leg off.

12:29 am  
Blogger Phil said...

I always try and leave out any detailed plot structure, focusing mainly on the overall theme of the movie. As Lou said, the film is called SAW so it's almost self-explanatory but having seen both, there's a lot more to the film than some dude sawing through his leg, otherwise no-one would have made the film outside of college.

12:42 am  
Blogger Donovan said...

I think that while it's fine to not like a film, but slating it because it's not original is imho a lazy way to review.

Anyway I liked the original, thought it was slick and entertaining. I'll have to check 2 and see how it goes.

Anyway since when was Thirteen Ghosts original? Ever seen Scooby Doo?

4:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Saw. My entire watching experience was peppered with exclaimations of OH MY GOD, and WHO CAME UP WITH THIS!! It is so much more than a guy sawing off his leg and it was the sub-plots that made the movie if you ask me. I have not seen Saw 2 but I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as I am sure that if it is along the same lines as Saw, there are sub-plots which Phil didn't even mention.
I haven't seen it yet, but I don't consider it spoiled by that review.

1:40 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Indeed, there are many sub-plots in both films linking to the main characters and allowing you to "work it out" before the climax.

My comparison with 13 Ghosts was to illustrate that the concept of keeping people in a booby trapped house to kill them is nothing new and that I tire of the demented-genius-toying-with-the-cops routine.

While the first film gave you something to talk about afterwards, I left this one thinking "Oh, god, not another sequel!"

I would be interested to know where they could take this "game" idea outiside of a confined hidden space such as an empty house into a wider environment.

8:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar