Friday, October 28, 2005

Childhood Horror Top 10

hor·ror (hôrr, hr-)
n.

1. An intense, painful feeling of repugnance and fear.
2. Intense dislike; abhorrence.
3. A cause of horror.

It's been a long time since a film has scared the bejesus out of me. Perhaps because my brother and I would spend Saturday afternoons watching these "video nasties" we became anaesthetised by them. Since we were born, our parents would go shopping and we would be forced to tag along by their side gently kicking their shin and asking "Can we go now?" or force us to sit in the back seat of the car and punch the crap out of each other. Somewhere down the line they decided that it would be best to leave us in the house, aged 10/11, and rent 18 only B-Movies where blood and guts reigned supreme and some evil beast devoured lost souls or some psycho nutter broke out of a high security wing for stabby revenge. Hell, it kept us quiet.
I therefore bring to you 10 horror films I recall watching at a young age that brought a chill to my spine. They are (in no particular order):

Evil Dead
Halloween
Friday 13th
The Thing
April Fools Day
Childs Play
Aliens
Nightmare On Elm Street
The Omen
Hellraiser

Honourable Mention: Video Dead [Remember this Keith?]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the classic Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (the 70s Donald Sutherland version)! Nothing is scarier than high pitched squawking and pointing.

7:53 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Good call but the scariest part of that film was the dog with the human face - I think I jumped out of my seat at that part!

8:52 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/video-dead/default.php

Excellent! Yeah that's a great list - brought back loads of memories. Don't forget the very first scary movie we ever saw: The Fog! Legendarily scary. The two kids up the street recorded it and couldn't sleep for days.

As for Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, the end of that movie was excellent. Ditto with They Live - another great horror movie.

Probably my favourite of all time was Prince Of Darkness - that was such a great film that I now own it on DVD. Jonh Carpenter (writer of They Live, Prince Of Darkness and many more horror greats) is easily the best writer/director/horror musician ever.

10:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THINK ANOTHER MENTION SHOULD BE MADE OF THE DESCENT WHICH SCARED PEOPLE IN THE CINEMA SO MUCH I NEARLY GOT LEPT ON BY AN OLD GEEZER AND EVA AND MATE ALICE TOOK 15 MINS AND A GLASS OF CIDER BEFORE THEY COULD SPEAK. NOW THATS HORROR.

7:41 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

I watched Deadbirds last night - an amazing horror that was very original in it's setup. The ending is a bit weird, albeit interesting butthe main body of the movie is gripping and the first scene in the bank has you going from the start (I won't tell you what happens, but you'll be stunned when it happens!).

It's set in 1863 in America and was shot and edited in 30 days. H and myself were surprised to hear that (it's in the extra's section of the DVD) because the movie looks very well planned and not at all rushed.

Check it out here to see the details. Trivia: Elliott from E.T. is in it, and the town scenes were all shot on Tim Burton's set for "Big Fish".

12:41 am  
Blogger Phil said...

Looks good - I'll have to borrow it!

I wonder if Tim Burton recieved an Executive Producer credit? ;)

9:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar