Thursday, February 24, 2005

Hero

The other film we rented was one I've been semi-looking forward to. Hero. I say semi because it stars Jet Li and I've never been fond of his films. However, I had heard a lot of good things about this film so I was prepared to watch it with an open mind.
The film has series of Rashomon-like flashback accounts that shape the story of how one man defeated three assassins who sought to murder the most powerful warlord in pre-unified China.
Most of the action takes place in slow-motion flashbacks which did begin to grate on me after a while. Yes, the sword play is fantastic. I get it, you're all supreme swordsmen. Now fight in real time please.
Nevertheless, the film is luciously filmed and a pleasure to look at and I would want to watch it again as I feel there would be more to it on repeated views. I also had to endure the next door neighbours 2 hour guitar and drum playing session which was extremely irritating.

I give this 3.5 swords out of 5.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar