Monday, September 05, 2005

Dazed & Confused

It seems like I've been off for a month rather than a fortnight and returning to work is both surreal and difficult to comprehend. My desk looks familar but has the tell-tale signs that another person has been using it in my absence which makes me feel like I'm taking over someone elses work. My chair has been adjusted, my stapler has disappeared along with my selotape holder, black and blue pens and my calendar has been moved forward from August to September. I have a serious issue with people taking pens from my desk. It's a pet hate and there's no excuse for it. The worst culprit is the person that wanders in, asks to borrow a pen to write something down and then walks off with it. Someone out there is single handedly keeping Bic in business.

There's also been a few work changes since I've been away and I have a new boss and extended deadlines for extra work which should take me into November. She introduced herself this morning and seems like a good person to work for. Let's hope my instincts are correct.

I've also noticed a few other changes since I've sojourned including daylight hours. We now begin the slow decline into shorter hours and commuting between work in diminishing light. I'm certainly affected by this although I don't suffer from Seasonal Adjustment Disorder. It's interesting that the body produces the hibernation hormone, melatonin. Perhaps working days should therefore reflect this bodily function and hours be reduced in the office? I'm sure every whining liberal would agree. Perhaps I can write an essay and submit it to The Idler?

Anyways, lots to get caught up on. No rest for the wicked. See you same place tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Donovan said...

"whining liberals"? Since when did you start reading the daily mail?

In fact, since your such a lover of work, how about just increasing the summer day to say, 5am to 8pm, so that when the winter comes around and you work from 9 to 5 it feels better?

To take your earlier point, thinking that theres something wrong with having your life governed by work would qualify as "whining", whereas when someone takes your pen after you go away for a fortnight.. well that's a legitimate complaint!

1:31 am  
Blogger Donovan said...

Seems I'm wasting my time, having been talking to myself in the last 4 threads I've commented on. Cya.

6:54 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Yes, I often wonder why I bother myself writing anything at all sometimes when only your good self and Lou takes the time to reply. Apologies for not responding to your previous comments and I look forward to your future postings should you choose to.

11:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar