Sunday, May 01, 2005

Against The Grain

I watched Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring last night on Channel 4. I've seen it 3 or 4 times already and have it on DVD. I wouldn't have chosen to watch it last night but the fact was it was on TV. It defies all logic. If you have the film on DVD, why put up with the ad breaks? Why not just put the DVD on and the film will be better quality without interuption every 15 minutes?
Perhaps I could get a government grant to find this out because surely it affects the whole country? I think it has to with start-what-you-finish. I know what happens to the Fellowship and beyond this first installment but then it's good scene after good scene and you're hooked in again. It's a film I haven't tired of watching. Give it ten years and it'll be doing the rounds like Star Wars did every christmas of my childhood.
The film itself is #11 out of the top 250 movies of all time. That's a great achievement for a film only a few years old. I think of any of those movies were on TV and you hadn't seen them a gazillion times and even if you have them on DVD, you would watch them. So why not just watch the DVD? It's because TV is easier to switch off. It doesn't hold the same demand of a DVD. It allows you to do something every 15 minutes without making you feel guilty of not paying attention and gives you the opportunity to change channels. Still, when a good film is on TV, what do you think?
I must get that on DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar