Monday, December 18, 2006

Winter BBQ

There were two outdoor activities I planned to accomplish this year. One was to have a pig on a roast spit, which is a little difficult when you don't have a pig, a spit or anywhere to have said event unless you want to burn half the grass in the garden to a charred mess. The other was a winter BBQ and this Saturday it was ticked off the list and a was a lot easier to organise than the pig.

I had spent the entire week weather watching. On Monday it looked ominous but then again not even a seasoned pro can predict weather patterns that far in advance. By the close of the week, the outlook had improved and Saturday was a glorious winter day - cold blue sky and a slow December breeze that had little impact on the trees because they bared not a single leaf. Indeed, the few orange leaves that escaped raking remained scattered across the lawn slowly turning brown.

After a difficult attempt at lighting the charcoal, the BBQ soon got underway and all manner of meaty treats were thrown on to heat up those who braved the afternoon chill - although a few hardcore guests chose to wear nothing but t-shirts - brrr!

It being a winter afternoon, it was not long before it was dark outside and our huddled mass surrounded the heat emanating from the hot embers and alcohol was consumed to stave off the cold.

By early evening we had amassed a mountain of food for snacking on later and we retreated into the warmth of a coal-fired living room to exchange secret Santa presents.

The jolly man in red must have been eavesdropping this year because I received a very fine wine rack of which to hold my many bottles of empty rioja!

Presents were passed out and smiles were put upon many faces. Thanks to Jenny for the above photos and you can find more of her pictures here. However, I did take a few myself which you can see below.

The party went on well into the night and into the small hours but it was just a little too much for some ;)


Thanks for stopping by. I hope you had a great weekend yourself and come by tomorrow for another installment in the Top 40 Albums of 2006 countdown!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heheh. I'm glad I didn't join the group for that looking-down photo - I would have had about ten chins!

You were so jammy with the weather for that winter barbecue, though. Blue skies and sunshine is hardly something that can be relied on in the middle of winter - but we got it!

9:20 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

Actually it's not luck - Phil always has good weather when he goes for BBQ's like this. Every single birthday he's had a BBQ there has been good weather, and that's at the start of May!

As for the looking down picture, I don't think people would have been able to see above your neck ;)

11:56 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

By the way, nice rack Phil!

11:57 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

The beard can hide many chins :)

I should hire myself out for good-weather occasions:

"My fee? £100 + VAT and a BBQ"

12:40 am  
Blogger Donovan said...

You're like a perpetual friday phil! Always sunny.

I'm gutted to have missed the parties! I'll give you reason to fill and empty the wine rack when I get back.

At the moment it looks like I'll probably be coming back sometime in late February, budget willing.

In the meantime I'll raise a cold beer in all your honour while having a proper warm Christmas BBQ!

1:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar