Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Belle & Sebastian - Ulster Hall

Belle & Sebastian's new album, The Life Pursuit, was only released the day before the gig which is always going to be troublesome when trying to appreciate new tunes live. Nevertheless, they kick off with the crowd pleaser of I Fought In A War, the first track from the album Fold Your Hands Child, You Look Like A Peasant. From there, however, the group dismiss the back-up of 4 violins and trumpet and work through a couple of tracks from their new album. Unfortunately I only recognised Funny Little Frog, the first single release, which goes down well. Then it goes into unknown territory and inbetween Fox In The Snow and from If You're Feeling Sinister, there's two or three songs I don't know until the classic Dog On Wheels before they walk off.

After the encore they take requests from the crowd and despite consistent chants for The Boy With The Arab Strap, they play Judy & The Dream Of Horses and I'm A Cuckoo from Dear Catastrophe Waitress. In all, the gig was entertaining and naturally they are there to showcase the new album, but with it only being released the day before, many people like myself, have no idea of the material and as such are not in a position to appreciate it fully. Nevertheless is was wholly enjoyable.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Donovan said...

Looks like someone's been on the updatahol!

Pity i missed the gig last night.. i had a weird problem in that i couldn't access any secure web sites, meaning i couldn't do any work or receive emails. I phoned ntl, who said it was a problem with windows and told me some commands to type in.. which didn't work.

I then spoke to belkin about the router but determined that that wasn't the problem either. The next step was to use the windows install disc to do a "repair" thing.. which failed halfway through leaving windows hobbled! So, in frustration, I formatted the drive and installed windows from scratch.

After a rediculously long scandisk, windows was installed.. except the mouse wouldn't work.. so i spent another hour trying to install usb drivers without a mouse.

I gave up, went to the parent's house and got caught up on work from there instead. When I got home late that night, the internet had magically started working again.

But then this morning.. same problem as yesterday. I can't believe ntl refuses to acknowledge that it's their issue.

Thanks for reading, i feel better now.

10:45 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

NTHell. When it's working it's OK but when it's not, it's your fault. They have the worst customer service I have ever come accross. When I phoned them up and cancelled my services with them a few years ago as I was moving house they still charged me for 8 months until I caught on because it was always on payday so I didn't notice £14.99 going out [also a note to read my bank statements] and it took me a month to harass them into giving me a refund.

Hopefully your problem will resolve itself soon!

11:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had internet problems from work yesterday too, and Roger (who works from home) was unable to actually do any work from home for the same reason. It's obviously a wider problem than just one person's home computer!

11:56 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

Yeah I agree with Phil - NTL were terrible to me, ripped him off £15 a month for 8 months and twice ran up imaginary bills with my parents (both running into hundreds).

Actually, to let you know just how nasty they can be, when my parents realised they were being ripped off (second time around) they contacted NTL. NTL offered to not charge my parents for the next year and a half, but my folks wanted their money back as they were so fed up with NTL by this stage that they wanted to change ISP's.

NTL appeared to be happy enough with this, but after 2 or 3 months of phone calls my parents had no refund and NTL had started their "we'll not charge you and take it out of your refund" policy regardless.

Because of this my parents lost nearly £100 of refund by the time they managed to get their money back, and have since changed to BT and Pipex.

The only person I know who likes NTL is Bert "I've never had a problem with them" McKay. Maybe it's going to take him to have a problem with them to realise how screwed NTL really are...

12:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar