Friday, September 30, 2005

Conkering Ambivalence

Autumn is slowly working her magic, turning leaves black and when dusk hits, the street lights give everything that orange tint which camouflages the true colour of everything, making all cars look dark blue. I'm a summer person myself and if asked to choose between Spring and Autumn, I'm unsure what I'd prefer but I think I'll have to go with blustery October as opposed to April showers. I enjoy the feeling of wrapping up in a scarf and hat and kicking leaves and dodging puddles as opposed to not being sure what clothes to wear or if it might rain. Plus it's conker season. I'm proposing a conker championship in work as part of stepping up a range of social events. Who knows how it will go down with everyone. A large number will look on with ambivalence letting those slightly more enthusiastic to take control. I think so many are settled into a rut where generally nothing happens and they just clock in and clock out, regarding work as a part of the cog of life, only serving the purpose of turning the other cog that pays their wage so they can escape the confines of their desk for 2 days out of the week until they move on or retire.
I may be too hopeful that this newly established social committee will provide a kick up the arse and get people more involved with one another but it's better than being pessimistic. Our first event is 10 pin bowling on 21st October which is a good easy option to get everyone together - with any luck, people will be more keen to sign up to future events if this is successful. I do know that you can't please everyone so as long as a few other people enjoy it as much as those on the social committee then the job is done.
As for social events this weekend, I've set aside tonight to upgrade the PC so expect to read about that come Monday morning with an update of whatever mischief I get up to on Saturday. Have a great weekend and don't forget to look out for conkers!

1 Comments:

Blogger Donovan said...

You can get some conkers from my yard if you like, just don't be walking the mud into the house young man!

12:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar