Thursday, January 20, 2005

Hell is listening to 30-something women talking about weddings

On my lunch break today I was shunned into silence while 10 women discussed weddings. Preparations, the day itself, reflections on the day and other peoples wedding days. I suppose that's the problem when you're out sexed 10-1 in your workplace, conversation invariably circles around clothes, accesssories, hair cuts and make-up. No kidding. I'm not suggesting they take an interest in scart leads and DVD burners but we could at least talk about something asexual like social, economic or political issues. I was just relieved that I wasn't quizzed on my personal life. Did I have a girlfriend? How long had we dated? When was I going to get married? What I think about patterns or sequins on THIS design? [It's always worse when they involve you to make you feel more welcome but you're just waiting for an appropriate momment to announce you've forgotten about something and sit at your desk for remainder of your lunch]

I should at least mention one good thing about a 10-1 ratio and that is chocolate. There's always a steady supply. Biscuits, sweets, boxes, bags, white, dark, you name it, it'll eventually find it's way to the table at break time. But then they talk about how much calories are in them, how much weight they'll put on, how much weight they have put on, all whilst taking one more because they've already had too many.

Bless.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar