Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sensory Overload #1

My New Years resolution for this blog is to try and post more often. Usually I want to review a film, album or gig and then never get around to it. Writing a review usually takes a good portion of my time and since I'm habitually lazy, most often I do not get around to doing anything.

So, in order to get everything in, I won't be writing a full scale review of anything unless it really excites me and I'm motivated to do so. Therefore it's my intention to start a new column as such and update you in a batch fashion. So, let's get on with it.

FILMS

I've seen a few really good films this year, some of which I hope to see win an Oscar or get a nomination, others I'd ideally like my time back from wasting it.

A Prophet

A young Arab man is sent to a French prison where he becomes a mafia kingpin.



I would love to see this film win the Best Foreign Picture Oscar. Amazing performances and mesmerising from start to finish.

A Serious Man

A black comedy set in 1967 and centered on Larry Gopnik, a Midwestern professor who watches his life unravel when his wife prepares to leave him because his inept brother won't move out of the house.



Latest from the Coen brothers. Beautifully shot with great performances but just didn't deliver for me.

The Road

A post-apocalyptic tale of a man and his son trying to survive by any means possible.



Adapted from Cormac McCarthy's prize winning novel, Viggo turns in another fine turn as The Man. Slow moving and sometimes chilling, it's a shame that his son, The Boy, doesn't deliver but as entertaining as it is bleak.

MUSIC

2010 is off to a good start with the following albums worth a listen


Vampire Weekend - Contra

2nd album from Ezra Koenig and company, expanding on the sounds from their debut and taking a strange twist on their trademark sounds.

Listen to Vampire Weekend here.









Laura Veirs - July Flame

Several albums into her career and still making great music. Not as instantly accessable as Saltbreakers but I think this one will be a sleeper hit.

Listen to Laura Veirs here.









Hot Chip - One Life Stand

Great album and single of the month so far for One Life Stand.

Listen to Hot Chip here.










GIGS


I saw Modest Mouse and Frightened Rabbit in December besides attending the ATP Nightmare Before Xmas in Minehead. My first gig of the year will be Bonobo at the Black Box on 23rd followed by Yeasayer and Jesca Hoop in February.


Well, I hope that's the first of many more frequent updates. Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar