Monday, April 06, 2009

Let The Right One In

Låt den rätte komma in (Let The Right One In) is an interesting mix of drama and horror which could only have been made outside of Hollywood. Whilst the horror element is subdued, when it does occur it is harsh and violent with an obvious realism that is absent from most films in this genre that go for a hyper-reality form of gore and blood lust.

It is based on the 2004 novel of the same name set during the early 1980's of Stockholm. The film which was released last year to widespread critical acclaim in its native country now has a UK release this month.

The film focuses on Oskar, an only child in a divorced family who spends a lonely time living between his mother and father which is further compounded by his bullying at school.

One evening outside the apartment blocks, he meets an unusual girl called Eli and they form an curious chemistry. During the course of the film situations arise that questions how far their relationship can go, the strength of character that friendship provides and nature of the friendship itself.

Set against this human drama there are other social relationships within the community where Oskar lives which impact on everyone concerned.

Let The Right One In turns the idea of a horror film on its head and brings a more natural as opposed to supernatural element to play. It's only downside is that the pace can be a little slow at times but this is a relatively minor qualm in an overall highly artistic and involving movie about lonliness and emotions in an unusual friendship.

An English language remake is on the cards for a 2010 release. I imagine it will lose most subtle nuances and go straight for the action juglar. I suggest getting in now and enjoying the original.

I would give this film 7.6 cloves of garlic out of 10

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Lou said...

Very good film. Contains one of the most memorable scenes in horror film history. Can't even say where it takes place, or it might spoil the impact, but you'll know it when you see it.

5:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just popped over from Suzy's and wanted to say that I am currently reading this book and (im)patiently waiting for the movie to arrive on my doorstep from Amazon!

I do NOT look forward to an American remake of this film at all. :/

4:51 am  
Blogger Phil said...

Thanks for stopping by! :)

As far as I know the book has a lot more darker undertones and an additional story plot that was purposely left out of the screenplay as it would make for a distraction from the main element - I'll not mention it here but if I'm right you'll know what it is.

Can I assume by your ordering of the film that the book is certainly worth tracking down?

9:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost done reading the book and it's been definitely worth the read. I ordered my copy from Amazon because none of the libraries seemed to have it.

When I found out the movie had been based on a book, I had to read it before seeing the film. So many times film adaptations fall short of the books. I just didn't want to have the movie images in my head while I read the book. I know, it's silly. :)

4:02 am  
Blogger Phil said...

I know what you mean. I often find myself re-reading a book after watching the film and only about 20% of it is similar to what I had in my head.
I'm really looking forward to Peter Jacksons interpretation of Lovely Bones and Robert Schwentke's version of The Time Traveller's Wife.

4:21 am  
Blogger Skry said...

Sounds like a cool film. No doubt I'll have to wait to 2015 for the Scandinavian release and only 2010for the American version, thanks to slow Kiwi speeds at getting anything non-mainstream :-/

9:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar