Monday, April 23, 2007

Return To Never Never Land

On Friday afternoon I was back somewhere I thought I would never return to after nearly ten years. No, not Brit Pop, but my old grammar school.

I usually enjoy re-visiting places of the past, as you remember how it used to be, can see the changes made over the years and you leave contented.

I return to my primary school every few years to vote and it brings back happy memories and I usually bump into someone I know which brings back a flood of internal snapshots and escapades that have been filed away in storage.

But grammar school is different and after leaving the shady corridors of teenage awkwardness I never wanted to go back. I really only enjoyed my last two years there after spending 5 years as a social pariah, slowly building up friendships. It was difficult at first because I, like my brother, was the only person from my primary school to go to this school and the vast difference was overwhelming.

But I digress.

The reason I was back was because I needed to pick up my A-level certificates. I know, I know. What the deuce? Having gone straight from school to University and gaining a degree, it has superseeded any prequisite for needing A-levels and I've always gotten by through producing receipts of my results. However, I thought it might be handy to pick them up now or never as I'll be off to New Zealand soon and unable to do anything about it.

I was also surprised that they haven't been thrown out by now either. Nevertheless, after a quick phonecall to Student Records, they confirmed my certificates were in storage and I could pick them up that afternoon and I after ten years, I finally have my A-levels.

And I'll never have to set foot in that place again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Skry said...

Gah! You've reminded me that I'll have to go back there and pick up my A-Level certificates too. Damn you! Might actually have a GCSE or two to colect too...

I might also run amok for a wee bit, safe in the knowledge that I can't be suspended or expelled now. Might tell a certain teacher or two to get their hair cut while I'm at it :P

I remember being told "You'll never go far with hair like that". True, my hair was way too short then to be resectably long and too long to be considered anything other than scruffy. That down-to-your-collar look that used to be called "curtains". I'm not even gonna go into what hair constitutes curtains these days...

Still, I'm doing very well with my hippy attitude and appearance, thank you very much anyone who still cares in/from my old school!

7:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar