Thursday, June 30, 2005

Blog Rant

I'm not sure how many of you read other blogs other than my own. I'm not even sure anyone reads this most of the time but I mainly write it for myself so it doesn't bother me. It's more of a memory check of things I've done. At the end of the year I will be compiling The Ulsterville Cookbook - 50 Recipes to Burn On The Stove. I may also put together a similar list for films although it will more likely be a Top Ten of best and worst films of 2005.

Personally, I only read two blogs now that Darth Vader has no doubt been slain by his own son and cannot commit to making any new enteries.

I read James Lileks blog - The Bleat - everyday. I'm always amazed at how he can crank out so much everyday that other people are interested in. I guess it helps when you're a journalist with your own column. Still, respect where it's due. Only sometimes do I have the passion to turn lifes little nuances into a paragraph of interesting diatribe.

I also used to read Wil Wheatons blog everyday. It took a more geek orientated view of life than James and various issues that he talked about struck a resonnance with a lot of people. What put me, and other people, off was using his fanbase to pay a medical bill for his cats.
However, the real reason that I was turned off by Wil is his incessant talk about poker. Every other post concerns some poker-related story or a copy and pasting other peoples blogs about poker. Eventually it just gets boring for the non-poker fanbase. It's like using my blog to talk about music that no one is interested in which is why I only talk about gigs that I've been to. No one wants to know that my two current favourite bands are Maths & Physics Club and Amusement Parks On Fire. Whoops, nearly lost you there.
The final nail in the coffin was his June 27th entry, about poker, stating that he recieved his receipt in the mail for a $10,000 deposit he put down for The World Series Of Poker. If he can't find $7,000 to pay for his cats medical bills and has to whore his books to his loyal (and overally scyhophantic fanbase), where did he get the $10,000 from?
Well, from now on, I couldn't care less. So long Wil and thanks for the geek times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Donovan said...

>If he can't find $7,000 to pay for his cats medical bills and has to whore his books to his loyal (and overally scyhophantic fanbase), where did he get the $10,000 from?

Priorities?

2:10 am  
Blogger Donovan said...

Almost, though I'd be implying he puts poker over *paying for it*

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar