Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Half Day

Half days are great because you know you only have to put in enough effort to clear half your work load and then it's home time. It's even better when you spend it wisely. Lou and I met up for lunch in the Empire. I had the fish and chips and she had the chilli bowl. I remember that their food a few years ago was pretty decent although I might have been looking through student eyes. Either way, it's sub-par today. We both agreed that the meals looked like they came from a packet and could have been microwaved as far as anyone could guess. So the advice is look elsewhere for a pub lunch unless you're going for a burger and chips - they looked pretty decent and you can't go wrong there.

After that it was up for pool in Lavery's and it's great to have the place pretty much to yourself as it was a Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately Lou won 2-1 despite some solid potting on my behalf. I think a pool table would be near top of the list if I had the money and space. I must have used up all my luck on St Patricks Day so it's on for a rematch next time we're playing. They also do a lunch deal that looks better than the Empire. 12" pizza, two sides and two bottles of stella for a tenner. Score. If I had went there I might have swung the match in my favour, perhaps 5-3 or something. Ah well, I'll be back there next week for a work social so hopefully with all this practice recently I'll rise to the top.

From there it was off to the Moviehouse to watch Syriana. It was as interesting as it was confusing and it was worth it in that I didn't feel cheated when it was over although I would have liked to know more about the characters actions. From the players brokering back-room deals in Washington to the men toiling in the oil fields of the Persian Gulf, the film's multiple storylines weave together to illuminate the human consequences of the fierce pursuit of wealth and power. I would give it 3 oil fields out of 5 but I think it would have notched another point if the plot was less tangled. Nevertheless worth checking out as it's probably one of the best films in the cinema in the spring lull running up to the summer blockbusters.

So there you have it. A half day well spent. Hope you had a good day and check back tomorrow to find out what the Wednesday dinner of choice was.

Caio!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor bitter Phil.

11:29 pm  
Blogger Skry said...

The Empire does a good vegetarian meal, but it is a student bar and as such has cheap food, not high quality food. It used to do a Pizza and Pint deal for £5, so I guess you get what you pay for.

As for the pool dude, it's only a game! :P And you did kick arse all over that guy in Dunfanaghy so you can't really complain.

Will maybe hold off on watching Syriana for now - I watched Dispatches during the week about the $23 billion the US has stolen from Iraq and the debt and human sufferring that it has caused. Don't think I'm up to another "I hate America" film. I already hate the country, so why preach to the converted?

12:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Empire does a good vegetarian meal? My veggie friends who find themselves with a choice of two things on the menu (one of them more starter- than main course-sized) would disagree! Then again, veggies don't get much in the way of good deals most of the time anyway...

My meal of choice in the Empire is the club sandwich. Loads of chicken, bacon and salad, and a massive portion of chips along with it. Yum. As a creature of habit, I have been having the same thing in there for years now, and I'm happy to say it's still great!

9:26 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Cheers for the heads up - I always avoid the sandwich option in places forgetting that they are usually jam-packed, delicious and filling.

I'll give it a whirl next time and let you all know :)

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Stumble Upon Toolbar